Thursday, February 18, 2010

Royal Icing



Prep time: 5-10 minutes


  • 3 tbsp meringue powder*
  • 4 c powdered sugar
  • 6 tbsp water

*This can be bought in the craft section at Walmart or any craft store. It is by Wilton that does all the cake decorating supplies.

Beat all ingredients (add water slowly) at low speed for 7 to 10 minutes, or until icing forms peaks. 

TIPS:
1. Use gel food coloring to color the icing, not liquid as it will change the consistency.


2. Keep icing covered with a wet paper towel as icing can dry out quickly.

3. Use this original recipe to outline your cookies using either a pastry bag and decorator tip or a ziploc with a reinforced corner (Scotch tape works great!) with the tip cut off (this is what I used) I found that the thinner my outer line, the better the cookie looked when finished, so don't cut much off the .tip.

4. Once you outline your cookies, water the icing down until it is pretty runny. Put the runny icing in a bag with a bigger tip cut off, and use it to fill the rest of the cookie in. You may need to spread with a knife, toothpick, your finger, or the tip of the icing bag to fill it completely in.



I found that it took a few tries (test cookies, then you get to eat them!) until I got the hang of this, but it was easier than it looks. I don't have a steady icing hand, so this was an accomplishment for me :) 

The babies and binkies were found at the dollar store. I love the dollar store :)

No comments:

Post a Comment